A pregnant woman who miscarried after her evacuation from the Costa Concordia is set to sue the cruise company for $1.2 million
A pregnant woman who miscarried after the cruise ship wreck off the coast of Italy last month is set to sue the vessel’s owners for one million euros ($A1.2 million) in damages, Italian media says.
The 30-year-old Italian, identified only as Cristina M, was four months pregnant when she set off on the Costa Concordia cruise on January 13. Though she escaped the sinking ship in a lifeboat, she was admitted to hospital last week with a miscarriage.
Her doctors said she likely lost her baby because of the intense psychological stress suffered both during the night-time evacuation and when her lifeboat smashed up against rocks as it headed for the nearby shore.
The 114,500-tonne liner with more than 4200 people aboard ran aground on rocks off Tuscany’s Giglio Island and lurched on to its side as passengers were settling down to dinner shortly after the start of a Mediterranean cruise.
Up to 32 people are feared to have died in the disaster, which has led to a host of legal claims against the stricken ship’s parent companies.
Costa Crociere and advocacy groups representing survivors have struck a deal in which around 3000 survivors are to receive 11,000 euros ($A13,500) each plus the cost of the cruise and expenses.
Six passengers in the United States however are suing Carnival Lines, Costa Crociere’s parent company, demanding compensation totalling $US460 million ($A430 million).
In France a number of passengers have rejected the deal and filed legal complaints with the French courts, and in Germany, a group of 19 tourists have filed criminal charges against the captain Francesco Schettino